The Town of Castor welcomes you

All Saints' Church, 1910

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All Saints Church is a small gem of a church & is a significant, historic landmark in the Town of Castor.  It was one of the first buildings to be erected in the Town and certainly its very first church.  Its shape can be distinguished in some of the very earliest photographs of Castor as it emerged from empty prairie during 1910-11.  It was built in the spring of 1910 and was originally erected on a site donated by a the CPR on Maple Street at a cost of $480 from funds donated by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, London, England.

The church is also noteworthy because it was built by the Rev. Martin W. Holdom (1909-12) and his congregation.  The first Anglican church services had previously been administered from Stettler in a small sod church from July 1909 to October 1909 when the Rev. Martin Holdom, a young curate from St. Peter's Church in Leicester, England arrived.

 

The original sod church had become untenable and so he organized the congregation and secured funding to build this church in the spring of 1910. When complete, the Lord Bishop of Calgary dedicated it on March 6th of that year.

 

The church became All Saints Church in memory of the young Rev. Holdom's school, All Saints' School in Bloxham, Banbury, Oxfordshire and also because the first service he held in this building was on the eve of the festival of All Saints on November 1st 1910.  The Rev. Holdom's letters & diaries became the subject of a book published in 1996 by the Historical Society of Alberta entitled A Preacher's Frontier.

All Saints' 1911

Reverend Holdom at his "Vicarage", 1910

The All Saints' Church is part of the Castor & District Museum Society.